Monday, April 6, 2015

                                  Read Alouds

There is strong evidence of a positive link between vocabulary development and read-aloud experience.  Every day through elementary and if we wished hard - into middle school, students should hear a read aloud.  This can be a chapter, a poem, a paragraph from science or social studies.  It's an entirely different experience for a student to hear modeling by the teacher, than reading themselves.
There are many ways this can be accomplished.  I always kept a novel on the lectern, so if there was 5 minutes left over or we were waiting for the fire drill or whatever - I could pick it up and continue the story.  If there are proficient readers in the class, they can sometimes read.  It's also handy if there is a substitute teacher, for them to read to the class.
Studies show that pairing an explanation aids vocab growth, especially at the first reading. This is in addition to stopping and wondering aloud 'Oh I didn't expect that!' or 'That's surprising.'
Vocab grows significantly with alouds and high interest reading.  One day in the food store, I heard 'Mrs. Richards!'  It was a student who I had taught 10-15 years before.  His first comment was "Remember that book I read in 6th grade?  It's the best book I ever read!'  He had to remind me of the title and then I realized it was one I had read aloud to the class. But it left quite an impression on him!

Invite others in to read aloud to your class.  Staff, parents, friends!  I recently read to a first grade and they were riveted, even though the librarian had read the book previously to them.  They found that so funny - different comments and questions and they knew th ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment